Sunday, January 17, 2010

photography thoughts



I think I'm in a bit of a rut with photography. I don't know where I'm going with it -- I enjoy taking pictures, it's probably my favourite pastime, but I'd like to do something more with it. But what? I'm not sure. I've been thinking about making cards with my pictures on them and selling them on Etsy. Or just selling prints alone. Maybe taking a class? I'm not sure, but something else that makes me feel like I'm not just taking picture after picture and not doing anything with it. Hmm. Hopefully I can actually get myself moving and actually do something about this.


6 comments:

Hannah said...

You have some GREAT photos...I'd definitely buy cards with them on it. :)

Anonymous said...

You could do the Etsy thing and you could do one of those stock photo things. You might also look into freelance photography, like for magazines or businesses maybe.
-kristyn

Laura S said...

Hannah - Thank you! It's nice to know someone would buy them. I think Etsy may have a policy where they take your items off the listings if they're there for a long enough time. That'd be kind of sad to get to that point...

Kristyn - I know, I keep meaning to do the stock photo thing but it just seems like too much work for a few cents here and there. But it would be a good start. I should look into the freelance thing too, I keep an eye out here and there for contests with magazines and I look up the photographers when they have them listed. I guess I should sit down and actually write out goals for my photography so that I have something set to work toward rather than just thinking about doing it.

Steph said...

The AP is always looking for more photojournalists.

Laura S said...

How does one go about getting on with them?

Steph said...

You have to contact the local bureau, and they'll want a portfolio. Feel free to use me as a reference.