Sunday, October 11, 2009

Yesterday's snow


My poor zinnias are all gone now. :o(

6 comments:

Hannah said...

I love your pictures Laura. They are really well done. What kind of camera do you use?

Laura S said...

Thanks! I use a Canon PowerShot S5IS and I love it. I'd highly recommend the series if you want something a step above a point & shoot, but not as complicated as a professional camera would be. This picture in particular I used the "Super Macro" setting, which I'm obsessed with. My neighbors must think I'm pretty strange by now as they see me stooping down around the garden to take close-up pictures of flowers all the time!

Hannah said...

I have the same camera! I bought it last year and love it! I've learned quite a bit about it but want to know more. How do you get the "super macro" option. I know I have "macro, infinity, and normal" You might have a newer model than I do.

Laura S said...

How cool! I just got mind last year too and have tons to learn still. We very well could have the same model. I actually stumbled across the Super Macro option, as the booklet that came with it didn't explain it very well at all (or if it did, I haven't gotten to that part yet... I seem to have misplaced it altogether now).

It can be set for all the letter modes (P, Tv, Av, M, C) and the video mode, but I generally just use it in the "P" mode. Once in that mode, you just have to hold down that flower/Macro button. If you press it once it will go to just Macro, but if you hold it down, it should go to Super Macro. I like Super Macro better than Macro because you can get much closer to things and really get great detail (if you can hold it steady to focus). I bet you do have Super Macro, even if we don't have the same models, because they haven't changed the series much from one to the next in the past few years. What is the "infinity" option that you have?

Katie said...

Just think though, now you have new zinnias to look forward to next year.

Laura S said...

That is true. I kind of want to "blend" my zinnias too and see if I can make a new kind. I had pink ones and orange ones and yellow and red this year. I wonder if there are blue?