Friday, September 11, 2009

swimming rat?

I regularly walk around the lake by our house and I like to observe the weather, plants, animals, etc. in the area. Well, this fine evening I was sitting on the rocks of the lake trying to get a nice photo of the lone Double-crested Cormorant that is still frequenting the lake, when this woman and her kids walk past looking at something swimming on the surface of the lake. I got up from my spot to go further down the lake and they stopped me to see if I knew what the strange thing was that was swimming on the surface. The mom described it as sort of something with a rodent's head, like a rat. I slightly doubted what they were saying and went over to sit and see if I could figure out what it was...

Well, she was right! It looked very much like a rodent, a rat even, that was swimming! And it would dive every so often and stay under water for a considerable amount of time. It's head looks like a rat/beaver mix, maybe too different a nose to be a rat, though. I still have no clue what it was and because the light was going out, I wasn't able to get a better picture. Alas, it will have to do - here is the odd creature:

Click on it and see if you can figure out what it is for me.

EDIT: Scratch that! I figured it out. It is a muskrat!! How thrilling... my first sighting of a muskrat (that I'm aware of) at our lake. !

1 comment:

Katie said...

It won't let me click to see the picture bigger. You should have asked Dad, he would have known right away.